YouTube Kids Privacy Notice
Information we collect
YouTube Kids collects information based on your children's use of the app, like when they watch a video. This information includes:
- device information, such as hardware model, operating system version, and unique device identifiers;
- log information, including details of how our service is used, device event information, and the device's Internet protocol (IP) address;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- mobile identifiers, which are a technology similar to cookies used to collect and store information about an app or device, such as preferred language, watch and search history, and other settings.
YouTube Kids doesn't collect personal information like name, address, or contact information from your children.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect for internal operational purposes such as for spam and abuse prevention and enforcing our content license restrictions, determining preferred language and providing and improving the service.
We also use this information to offer users personalized content. We associate a mobile identifier that's unique to the app with the videos your children have watched and terms they've searched for to recommend videos likely to be of interest to them, subject to the controls described below.
We use mobile identifiers to provide contextual advertising, including ad frequency capping, unless you enable YouTube Red, which provides an experience free of paid ads, as described below. The app does not allow interest-based advertising or remarketing.
YouTube Kids does not allow your children to share personal information with third parties or make it publicly available.
Signing into YouTube Kids with your Google Account: Additional Information We Collect and How We Use It
In some countries we allow parents to sign into YouTube Kids with their Google Account to access and enable additional parental controls, customization and viewing preferences and use their YouTube Red membership in the app.
If available, when you sign into YouTube Kids with your Google Account, the app will collect your Google Account information, such as email address and password, and where available, will collect information associated to parental controls, customization, and viewing preferences that you may have enabled in the app. These may include lists of video blocked from the app, videos you add to the app, information contained on limited profiles you may enable for your children (such as name, age, picture, videos your children mark as like or disliked and channels they may subscribe to and watch and search history specific to each child), in addition to the information described above. We will use this information to provide certain additional features, including:
- Give you access to and enable additional parental controls, customization, and viewing preferences, in the app on all your devices. These may include adding or blocking certain videos from the app, the creation of limited profiles for your children, the ability for your children to mark videos that they like or dislike and to subscribe to certain channels.
- If applicable, enabling YouTube Red benefits, such as offline access to content, background play and no paid ads, in the YouTube Kids app on all your devices.
When you sign in with your Google account, we will use the watch and search history tied to each specific installation of the app to recommend videos on YouTube Kids, as described above, and we will continue to use that watch and search history to recommend videos even if you sign out of the app, unless they are cleared and paused in the settings section as described below.
If you are signed in and have limited profiles for your children associated with your Google Account, we will use the information tied to each restricted profile to offer each child personalized content by recommending videos likely to be of interest to them, subject to the controls described below.
Information we share
We will not disclose individual user information outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With consent
- We will share individual user information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when we have parental consent.
- For legal reasons
- We will share individual user information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- For external processing
We may share aggregate information about the use of the app with third parties to, for example, show trends about the use of the app or meet our reporting obligations with partners.
Parental Access and Controls
You can access the videos your children have recently watched in the Watch it again section of the app. You can pause the collection of watch and search history or clear the watch and search history in the parental settings section of the app. If you've enabled limited profiles for your children, you will be able pause and clear watch and search history, or turn on and off search for each child separately. While history is paused, the app will not use new video views or search terms to recommend videos. When watch and search history are cleared, the app resets Recommended and Watch it again videos. If Search is turned off, the app automatically clears watch and search history. Finally, you can always uninstall and reinstall the app on an device to reset the app-specific identifiers used to collect watch and search history, but if you have enabled children's limited profiles, watch and search history will remain linked to each profile until you specifically delete the history.
If you've signed-in, you'll be automatically signed into the YouTube Kids app installed on all the devices where your Google account is signed in. you can unlink your Google Account from a specific installation of the YouTube Kids app by following the prompts in the parental settings section of the app. You can also delete the parental controls, customization, and viewing preferences that are associated with your Google Account at any time by using the in-product tools we provide.
Interpretation of conflicting terms.
The YouTube Kids service is provided by:
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA
Phone: +1 650-253-0000
Parents may contact us directly with any questions or concerns at:
Dated: November 17, 2016